The settlement of Loudoun County, Virginia began in the early 1700s, when it was still owned by Lord Fairfax. Colonists from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland arrived during this period, while English Cavalier settlers from eastern Virginia established large tobacco plantations in Lower Loudoun. The books in this collection are in the public domain and can be used and reused free of charge. For guidance on compiling full citations, see Citing Primary Sources.
Loudoun was originally part of a six million acre grant given to Lord Hopton, Earl of St. Albans, Lord Culpeper, Lord Berkeley, Sir William Morton, Sir Dudley Wyatt and Thomas Culpeper by Charles II, King of England in 1661. This grant was later known as the “Fairfax patent” and then as the “Northern Neck of Virginia”. Germantown in Fauquier County is about forty miles away from the German settlement in Loudoun County, but the two areas have different cultivation methods. Moreover, there is no similarity in names.
Despite this, the pioneers of Loudoun were far superior to many of those who followed them when better transportation facilities made the county more accessible. From the top of a mountain, a direct line to point 4 of the Blue Ridge in Ashby's Gap marks the border between Loudoun and Fauquier counties. The Armend legion (in German), recruited by Congress in the summer of 1777 and made up of people who could not speak English, was composed of many Germans from Loudoun County. In 1900, Tazewell topped the list of Virginia counties in both number and weight of sheared fleeces, followed by Loudoun with a total of 15,893 fleeces with an unwashed weight of 87,440 pounds. Loudoun is crossed by the Washington and Ohio Division of the Southern Railroad which penetrates the county centrally from east to west and provides an outlet for its immense shipments of livestock, grains and miscellaneous products. The first permanent settlers of Loudoun have been mentioned separately; now an attempt will be made to make a generalized description of their habits, customs and clothing as well as those of their disorganized pioneering predecessors and the constant flow of housing seekers that arrived in the county until long after the Revolution.
Today Loudoun's public roads and toll roads are undoubtedly better than those in most counties and are kept in good shape. The geology of more than half of the area of Loudoun County has been thoroughly studied by Arthur Keith in his work entitled “Geology of the Catoctin Belt” authorized and published by the United States Geological Survey. The longest line that crosses the county measures 35 miles and stretches from the lower end of Lowe's Island in the old month of Sugarland Run to the top of Blue Ridge in Ashby's Gap; the second longest 34 miles stretches from the corner of Jefferson County West Virginia on the bank of Potomac River below Harpers Ferry to corner Fairfax County in Bull Run less than half a mile from Sudley Springs in Prince William County. Loudoun County is located at northern tip “Piedmont” Virginia  and forms cusp one most picturesquely diversified regions American continent. Shenandoah was Virginia's star county in egg production with 1 159 000 dozen; Rockingham ranked second with 1 150 500 dozens and Loudoun third with 771 780 dozens fourth largest competitor Augusta County lacking 60 580 dozens this last number. From January 1863 until end war Colonel Mosby's partisan operations were mainly limited to Loudoun and Fauquier Counties this rich pastoral country that allowed for his survival and Blue Ridge refuge which he withdrew when pressured by superior numbers that from time time were sent against him. Loudoun topped list Virginia counties number lambs under one year old ranked second number sheep aged one year over included within Loudoun's boundaries are 313 90 216 acres best farmland be found any county state. Lieutenant Colonel Lee through whom investigation had been carried out sent messenger to Loudoun County search Champe. Loudoun County has a long history that dates back to colonial times.
It has been home to many different cultures over its long history, including German settlers who arrived during colonial times. The county has also been home to some important events during American history such as Colonel Mosby's partisan operations during the Civil War. Today it is known for its rich pastoral landscape and its 313 90 216 acres of some of the best farmland found anywhere in Virginia.